"The Fragrance of the Knowledge of Him"

I started reading the New Testament. (see here as to why) Currently I am on 2 Corinthians. It has been such a treat reading the New Testament books back to back. I have a new love for His word. And as I am digging into the Epistles, I am learning to enjoy Paul's writings. Although, I must admit that I struggled a bit with Romans. I prayed though that God would give me enjoyment in Paul’s writings. I found it in Corinthians.

I came upon the following scripture, “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere, the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death, to the other, the fragrance of life,” 2 Corinthians 2:14-16.

Isn’t this just a beautiful way, especially for women, to see how we are in Him? A fragrance, an aroma of Christ, that is what we carry when we spend time with others.

Did you ever walk into someone’s home and know whose it is? I bet you could be blindfolded and driven around in circles a bunch of times, then brought into your mom’s house. By smell only, I bet you could figure out whose home you were in.

Or do you remember, as a child having that one special stuffed animal or blanket. You would hold it close to your chest or even your face. That stuffed animal had that certain smell. You know the one I am talking about! Especially if you were a thumb sucker, you would put that animal right up to your nose. The aroma of that blankie was a place of peace.

I recognize that a fragrance can also be a sweet smelling aroma. There have been times, in worship, that I can smell a sweet rose lingering in the air. I love it when I smell a sweet flower during times like that, it brings joy to my heart.

Somehow, though, this scripture shows me the smell of the Great Comforter. I identify with it like my teddy bear, Felix, when I was a child. I always held him close and he had that comfort smell. I want to be that way. I want to have the smell of the Great Comforter. It is that aroma, where people know that they can let their guard down, and can talk with me about something deeper then the weather. It is that warm cuddley feeling, where peace seems to come back, and you are able to break down a bit more. It is through that comfort, that we can begin to minister the true love of Christ.

And because we are carrying the real knowledge of Him, of who He is, how He has rescued us, we become a sweet and warm fragrance to those who are searching for the Great Comforter.