Growing Up


He calls me "mom" now. No longer mommy or mama, but mom. It's a big change. A good one, of course. I want him to grow up, to go from being a little boy to the boy he's supposed to be. But sometimes, when he calls me mom, my heart hurts. I loved being mama, to him.

Lately I've found that he craves any and all time he can get with his father. This too is good. A boy should adore his father and look to him for guidance and support. But, I'm his mama. You know the one that hugs him a little bit longer then he probably wants me too.

He stopped holding my hand so much now too. I suppose it's independence climbing out of him. Again, that's good. I want him to be strong, independent, and smart. I do. I even push him sometimes to be that way.

And yet, he's still 6. Acting like a clown, saying goofy things, and bounding with lots of energy. Funny, sometimes I wonder if he's immature for his age, right on, or perhaps ahead of himself. Who knows. And who cares, right?

It's just sometimes, I wish I could make him call me mama again. Just for a bit...

6 comments:

  1. Sniffle, sniffle. I need a tissue!

     
  2. Awww! My son loves his dad so much it is ridiculous. He still likes me, but daddy is way better already.

     
  3. Awwwww, bittersweet, isn't it?!

     
  4. Wow. Thanks for sharing your heart...I love you Becky!

     
  5. There is just something about little boys, and I'm sure there is just something about little-bit-older boys too!

     
  6. Oh, my 4 and a half year old mostly still calls me Mommy but the occasional Mom pops in now already.

    Your words are so heartfelt, thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Heidi