StoryCorps

I am an avid listener to NPR. I listen to music all the time, really I do and almost always I have a worship cd in. When I do turn the radio on, I listen to only 2 stations, the local christian radio and NPR. I grew up on NPR.

My mom listened to it all the time. And now, both my brother and I have it programmed in our cars and houses. Sometimes I get a call from my brother, saying, go download this article off of NPR's site and listen to it. It's so good.

Of course, my husband LOVES to listen to Fresh Air, with Terry Gross. And one year, for Christmas I purchased the Driveway Moments, cd set. We both listened to them.

My sweet sister in law and brother, bought my mom the book, Listening is an Act of Love, for Christmas this year. She finished it in days and then passed it on to me. I of course, devoured it, and am trying to decide whom I should pass it on to. The book is a compilation of some of the interviews done by StoryCorps. Here is an excerpt from their site, explaining their mission:


“Since 2003, almost 30,000 everyday people have shared life stories with family and friends in our StoryBooths. Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the Library of Congress. Millions listen to our broadcasts on public radio and the web. StoryCorps is the largest oral history project of its kind.”


Well, the mobile StoryCorp is coming to Charlotte next month! You can't sign up for interviews (you bring someone there and then interview them) until the end of January. But, oh, do I ever want to do this! What a neat opportunity to record a piece of personal history and know that someday the generations to come will actually be able to hear your voice and learn something about their ancestors!

You can see if StoryCorp is coming near you, here. Check it out! And if you get a chance, read Listening is an Act of Love, you'll breeze right through it, trust me.

1 comments:

  1. I have heard about this! It sounds like such a great opportunity and that must be a good book.

    Thanks for sharing!