Fighting For It... continued


"Do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead seek the kingdom and these things will be added to you." Luke 12:29-31

I am reading, Let the Nations Be Glad! The Supremacy of God in Missions, by John Piper. It is for my one and only class this trimester, Missionary Methods.

Today, I awoke and got up around 6:30 (which is unbelievably hard for me since I am such a night person) and read one of his chapters - entitled The Supremacy of God in Missions through Suffering. What a way to start my day off. Actually is was great!

Piper is very cerebral when he writes (at least I think he is). He tends to overstate his point with example after example after example. The good thing is, his points are REALLY good and worth reading (so far, at least).

This chapter about suffering spoke so clearly to me. I desire fully to sit down and write several long posts about what I am learning through this chapter, however, I have a midterm to take on Thursday and two kids who take up almost all of my time during the day. Therefore, I am going to give you this one great, incredible tidbit to chew on.

Piper says, "It will be difficult to bring the nations to love God from a lifestyle that communicates a love of things. Therefore, God ordains in the lives of his messengers that suffering severs our bondage to the world. When joy and love survive this severing, we are fit to say to the nations with authenticity and power: Hope in God."

Love it! Love it! Love it!

Our current situation is not even close to suffering! We have it all! We are blessed beyond measure. Our God will take care of all of our needs. If we lack then it will be for His glory and we will be stronger and mightier for it.

Between this chapter and the testimonies in the comments below I was brought to such a higher level of joy today. I am so excited.

By the way, I am seriously considering printing off each testimony and adding it to our scriptures and provision list hanging up in the house. Also, CJ and I decided that we are going to sit down and write down testimonies from the past when God provided, so that we can be reminded of our own experiences.

4 comments:

  1. I am in a Beth Moore Bible Study - Breaking Free and the video tonight was titled "Beauty for Ashes". Her starting point was drawn after reading Isaiah 6: 1-3. She then stated, "God never allows or appoints a fire unless He can bring beauty from the ashes! Praise God. I thought of you when she said this and made a note to email you. I can't wait to hear the "rest of your story"...the testimony of how God brought you through...the changed lives...the stronger faith...His Kingdom Glory!

    Keep "Fighing for it"! I am praying for you and your family.

     
  2. I am in a Beth Moore Bible Study - Breaking Free and the video tonight was titled "Beauty for Ashes". Her starting point was drawn after reading Isaiah 6: 1-3. She then stated, "God never allows or appoints a fire unless He can bring beauty from the ashes! Praise God. I thought of you when she said this and made a note to email you. I can't wait to hear the "rest of your story"...the testimony of how God brought you through...the changed lives...the stronger faith...His Kingdom Glory!

    Keep "Fighing for it"! I am praying for you and your family.

     
  3. John Piper is a wonderful author. I have a few books by him too....

     
  4. My brother loves John Piper, has turned my dad and my brothers-in-law on to him - Maybe I should see what all the buzz is about. It sounds like a great book, and I love the perspective you've shared. I'm such a baby, I think what I am struggling through is a hardship. BAH! Thanks for the chins up reminder :) Gotta get my eyes off of me and onto my Daddy!