How do you do it?


CJ has to memorize the names of all 66 books of the Bible. So, today at lunch we started discussing our memorization habits.
Not surprisingly, both of us do things differently.

CJ takes the first letter of each book and makes a sentence with it. For example: The first 5 books of the Bible, the Pentateuch, is Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. His sentence to remember these is: Generally Every Levite Noted Deuteronomy. So, he is in the process of coming up with sentences to memorize all of the books.

I, on the other hand, do things differently. I tend to write down my list in order, sometimes two or three times. Then, I place the list in my pocket and during the day, I will go through the order over and over again. When I mess up I pull the list out, remind myself and keep going.

I have also memorized scripture by using the first letter of the each word. Using the well known John 3:16, I would write down the following: FGSLTWTHGHOAOSTWBIHSNPBHEL. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life." I only use the letters until I have the complete verse memorized and secured in my heart.

So, how do you do it? How do you memorize scripture and the books of the bible?

BTW - I remember that there was a song out there for kids that helped with the books of the bible. Anyone know what that was? I would love to use this study moment for our entire family and teach my four year old too!

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention this b/c I have been struggling with memorizing a passage from Acts ALL WEEK LONG. I have to say it over and over and over - and read it over and over and over. Shortcuts don't seem to work for me I tend to be visual, so I have to see it.

    A photographic memory would be nice, wouldn't it? :-)

     
  2. For the books of the Bible, there was a wrap song I learned. I still sing it to my kids. It was late 80s. I think a local group recorded it. I have it on tape today and was thinking that I needed to try to dig it out for my new SS class!