Phone Time


I remember a few years back a friend of mine (you know who you are too!) explained to me that she was in a season of not talking on the phone alot, especially in the mornings when it was her core time with the kids. At that time in life, I only had one child who was probably less then 18 months old. I didn't quite understand what she was talking about, but like many other times in life with her, I trusted her and chalked it up to "I'll probably understand it more someday."

Well friend, I get it now. REALLY, get it.

I am having the worst time talking with just about anyone on the phone. Infact, sometimes I want to throw the phone out the window. I think its because I get so frustrated with wanting to have a legitimate real conversation and just not being able to attain that.

Phone calls subject me to more frustration with my children. I find that no matter how many times I prep them, beg them, teach them, discipline them or all but cry at them, the sacrifice to my children is just not worth the semi good conversation that I will be able to get.

Since I moved away from all of my serious conversationalist in life, phone dates became the optimal way of having real discussions. It's a good compromise.

Lately though, I haven't even done that. While I miss a really deep good conversation, a familiar friend, and the bearing of each others souls, this season I have been walking through lately seems to have me mostly by myself. I don't quite know how to explain it. And I can't excitedly tell you that God is talking a lot and I am listening intently.

Nope.

I sure do miss a good conversation though. I'm sure it will be restored in His timing.

Until then....well, who knows. Just know I miss my phone dates.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it is hard to talk on the phone. Luckily, I don't like to talk on the phone much anyhow.

     
  2. I'm on vacation now, but let's schedule a date for next week! I miss you!

     
  3. I know what you mean! There are days that this continues to be an issue even for my 13 year old! Like, hello, do you not see the phone attached to my head?

    But like all things we face in this mothering journey, it's just a season. (This is what I've been telling myself for 13 years!!!) And I know for me, since we moved, setting aside a designated time to talk uninterrupted (like after they have all headed out to play or up to bed) has made the fellowship all the sweeter. And certainly makes me appreciate those heart-to-heart talks all the more!

    Hang in there, I promise you will get to talk again someday. And maybe that will also be the day that I get to go potty without one of mine yelling through the door for some dire (NOT!) emergency :)