Feminism At Its Best


When I was a little girl, I wore this blue little t shirt with sparkling writing on it. Written in bold letters was the saying, "Anything Boys Can Do, Girls Can Do Better!"

I'm not sure who gave me the shirt. But I always wore it proudly, especially in front of my brother. It wouldn't surprise me if my mom had gotten me the shirt. Let's just put it this way, my mama didn't raise no girly girl. No, I was one of those girls who knew what a hammer was and wasn't afraid to use it.

Can you imagine what my reaction was to the following????

EJ: Um, I was playing with something and I broke it. Someone needs to come downstairs and help me fix it..... Probably you Dad, since girls don't fix things and boys do.

The best part of it all was that my mom is in for a visit and was sitting on the couch for the conversation. Her reaction???? An audible gasp.

It took everything in me not to jump up off that couch and launch into a lecture on why a girl doesn't need boy parts to fix something and that I have wired houses, shingled roofs, and even worked on cars with the best of them.

No instead, I maintained as much composure as possible. Lovingly I turned to my husband and told him in no uncertain terms that he needed to go downstairs and have a talk with HIS son, explaining that mommy can and has fixed many things.

Mom and I laughed as CJ walked downstairs with EJ, shaking his head....

Now if only I could find that old t shirt. I'd seriously consider hanging it as a welcome flag in front of the house!

7 comments:

  1. I had that same little blue T shirt!!!!!!! I loved it!

    Funny - and even better that your Mom was there too!!!!

     
  2. LOL! Was CJ able to fix it?

     
  3. laughing thru my morning fog here in lansdale :) very cute and very funny! thanks for starting the day with a smile :)

     
  4. We have had an almost identical moment here in our home. Never mind you I used to get paid (good money) to carry (and use) a hammer on a tool belt.

     
  5. :) funny stuff.

     
  6. I don't know sister, I'm all for that women can do what men can. However considering you live in a house for of males, you might want to consider having CJ talk to EJ about caring for his women and the old art of chivalry. I would hate to hear that you cleaned out a clogged drain just because you can. LOL!

     
  7. All I can do is smile. :)